Monday 14 December 2009

The days before....

I am dreaming in 'food' !

Supper night is looming nearer and with all places taken it's now down to me to live up to my promise of actually applying myself and cooking and welcoming all those who are to make the effort of coming to sit in a strangers living room. Let's all pretend it's 'normal'...!

Sourcing the promised pumpkins were not too problematic, carrying them home on the bus was challenging to say the least. Much to the amusement of other onlookers the bags proceeded to spilt and I watched in weary resignation as they rolled up the aisle and under the seats where they nestled happily, grinning and winking at me, as I and my fellow passengers collected them up.
Don't worry...all were washed before being bought to the table !

After a long dry spell Oxtail and similiar cuts that require long slow cooking have made a
welcome return to our tables and are now popular once again. This also means they are a little
harder to source. My preferred butcher has them on permanent order from Scotland but
couldn't help me in time, so to Waitrose it was. I didn't have time to wait for them to be trimmed so I dealt with this myself. Thankfully it wasn't too difficult as my butchering skills are pretty poor. I was cooking this in Guinness and was curious to find a white plastic ball within the can.

Meant to ask my diners if they knew why but I forgot....any ideas ?

On to the best bit...DESSERT.

I love making this cake, it is quick, simple and with so few ingrediants you can't quite believe it
will deliver, but it always does. It tends to deflate a bit once out of the oven ( well at least mine does ) as it relies only on the egg whites for volume but this certainly doesn't detract from the soft gooey chocolate interior.

No comments:

Post a Comment